Every month, The Lock Up Self Storage hosts auctions at select locations. These auctions are for the contents of self storage units that have been abandoned. If you’ve ever watched “Storage Wars”, you’re already up to speed. For those of you who haven’t, we want to educate you on how these auctions work and how to get the most out of them. There are no guarantees of what you’ll acquire in an auction, but you never know if you don’t try! That’s part of the fun.
First off, you’ll need to find out when and where to go. The Lock Up lists the dates, times and locations of each of their auctions on their website. Simply visit: http://184.108.40.206/storage-auctions/ and find the location nearest you to plan your auction visit.
Be sure to arrive a little early. You and the other bidders will be taken to each unit that is up for auction. The door will be opened and you will have a little time to peer into the unit. You are not allowed to enter the unit, so bring a flashlight to help illuminate shadows to see what you’re working with.
The Lock Up runs silent auctions which means that you decide what you’re willing to bid for a unit and write it down on a piece of paper which is then turned into the office. The winning bid is announced and from that point, you have 24 hours to clear out the unit completely….and discover what treasures lie within.
Here are a few other tips for your experience:
- Bring boxes or plastic containers so you can organize what you want to keep.
- Bring large garbage bags for the items you’ll want to discard.
- Wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. While The Lock Up’s storage units are clean, we can’t guarantee that what the original owner stored in their unit will be.
- Bring gloves.
- Arrive in a vehicle capable of carrying all the contents of a unit, or be prepared to make multiple trips.
- Ask a friend who enjoys thrifting or picking through garage sales. You’ll appreciate the extra help.
See you at the next auction!