One self storage facility is just as good as the next, right? Unfortunately, nothing could be further from the truth. When it comes to storing your valuables, protecting technical equipment or preserving cherished heirlooms, you must take extra care in choosing the right facility.
Storage units that do not provide climate control leave your valuables open to premature aging, cracking, splitting, weathering and yellowing. Even worse, facilities that do not offer a self-enclosed environment are more open to damages resulting from flooding, pest infestations, debris and mildew.
Items and material that benefit from climate-controlled storage include:
- Technical equipment: electronics, computers, video and audio devices
- Tools and machines: construction supplies, restaurant equipment
- Documents and Media: Paperwork , Cds, photos, videos, software,
- Antiques and Heirlooms: Crafts, clothing, paintings, musical instruments
- Wood: Furniture, antique frames, lumber, crafts
Just about every available storage facility makes a claim about some type of security. However, the question becomes just how far-reaching are these security measures. Do they only offer a simple lock and key, or does the self storage facility go the extra mile, providing you with a long list of security options.
When looking for a storage facility, ask about the following features:
- Surveillance equipment, onsite monitoring
- Motion sensor lighting
- Alarms systems, for both burglaries and fires
- Fencing and perimeter alarms
Establishing the rules of access is essential to protecting your valuables. First, it is important to understand when the storage facility will be open, and establish if these hours are convenient to you. Remember, while having a limited window to access your items may seem like a pain, it can be important to maintaining security.
Second, you want a limit placed on those people who are able to access both your storage unit and the facility as whole. Facilities that limit access with a personal access code are optimum. In addition, investing in your own private, quality made lock and key is a wise decision.