Art or photography on the walls of a house makes a home. These framed pieces are valuable simply because we choose to adorn our every day lives with them. So when it comes to moving time, you want to make sure that you take extra care while transporting them…even if they’re not priceless works of art. Here are some tips on how to move your framed pieces of art safely and securely.
- Use sturdy boxes large enough for your frames. Moving boxes intended for mirrors are good for this. If they still aren’t big enough for your framed pieces, splice the boxes together with heavy duty tape to create the right sized box.
- Fill the bottom of the box with newspaper for padding.
- Place an X of masking tape on the front glass of each of your pieces. This is intended to prevent the glass from shattering and ruining your framed art in the event that the glass breaks accidentally.
- Wrap each frame thoroughly in bubble wrap and secure with tape.
- Place each wrapped frame inside of the box you have prepped. If the frames fit loosely, pack extra newspaper into the box until everything is snug and won’t move.
- Tape up the box securely by taping all corners and seams. Be sure to label the box clearly as FRAGILE.
- If the box is too heavy for you to lift by yourself, get a friend to help. You wouldn’t want to drop it and lose all of your precious wall art before you get to your new destination.
- Transport the box in its upright position and don’t pile heavy items on top of it. Laying the box on its side will put undue pressure on the pieces inside of it.
Have a tip or suggestion on how to move framed art pieces? Share it with us here!
If you need to store your pieces until you’re ready to hang them on your walls, be sure to secure a Lock Up Self Storage unit where your work will be safe and secure until you need it.
Visit www.thelockup.com for a location near you!