When it’s time to use a moving van, there are a few key concepts to keep in mind. Packing your items into a large van requires some planning to prevent breakage during transport. Here are some tips for packing your things into a moving van:
- You want to keep your largest, heaviest items close to the truck’s cab. Items such as refrigerators, washer/dryers, etc need to be the first ones loaded into your truck. Make sure to evenly distribute the weight on either side of the truck bed too, so as to avoid having a truck that pulls to one side.
- Place mattresses and box springs along the truck’s walls. This will save space and also provide some cushioning for your other items. Be sure to tie them to the walls if possible. Disassemble bed frames, tie all of the pieces together and place along the sides of the truck. Use this same technique for any other long flat items like skis, headboards, mirrors or rolled up carpets.
- Rent or purchase moving blankets. You can use these to move large items by placing the item on the blanket and sliding it. They also provide cushioning between items and prevent items from scratching one another.
- Next in should be your heaviest boxes. Continue to evenly distribute weight throughout the bed of the truck.
- Light and delicate items go in last. If there is a storage space in the cab of the truck, use that for the most delicate of items so they’re sure to not get crushed.
- If you have a truck that has more space than you have items, try to keep your items packed low and spread out with your heaviest pieces on the bottom. You don’t want to stack all of your pieces in the back of the truck and leave a bunch of empty space at the door…the moment you accelerate, that stack of your items will go flying and you’ll likely end up with a bunch of broken things when you arrive at your destination.
Don’t forget that most Lock Up Self Storage facilities have a free move-in truck available for first time clients. These trucks have hand dollies and some moving blankets to help you during your move.
Go to www.thelockup.com for more information.