When starting a family, you quickly realize how expensive things can get. One great way to cut the cost of having kids is to accept hand-me-downs from friends and family. Along with money, you’ll most likely find that storage space gets pretty limited the more people you add to your household. A good solution to both issues is to store the hand-me-downs that come your way in your Lock Up Self Storage unit until your kid grows into them. It’s a great way to keep your children dressed to the nines while they grow like weeds.
When baby comes, you’ll find that other families gladly pass along clothing they’ve been holding onto. Since children grow so quickly, many Moms find they only get to dress their babies in an outfit a handful of times before they’ve outgrown them. But they just don’t feel like they can throw good clothes away, so they wait for the next baby to come along. Take advantage so that you don’t break the bank.
Here are some tips to managing the outpouring of hand-me-downs that is sure to come once you’ve had your baby:
- Wash and fold all of the clothes that are given to you.
- If you get a mixed bag, be sure to organize the clothes into boys and girls.
- Sort the clothes into ages/sizes.
- Pack the clothes into sealed plastic bins. Be sure to clearly label each box with the sizes inside and if they are boy or girl clothes. This will make it much easier to pull out the next batch of hand-me-downs from your self storage unit as your baby grows.
- When you are ready for the next size up, just grab the appropriate box and you and baby are set.
And remember, just because you have a great collection of various sized clothes for your baby, that doesn’t mean you can’t go shopping for cute baby clothes. You can still splurge and get the really cute clothes that you may have otherwise passed on by covering your bases with some hand me downs.
If you don’t already have a self storage unit at The Lock Up, go to www.thelockup.com to find out more about securing a unit today.