Yes, self storage units are great for storing all the extra stuff in your life. But, have you ever considered using yours to keep an offsite emergency kit in the event that something happens to your home? It’s a safety precaution that you hopefully never have to utilize, but it’s a very practical and easy to do insurance for you and your family.
In the case that your home has incurred some kind of damage that prevents you from accessing your everyday necessities, wouldn’t you be thankful that you’d thought ahead and stored some essentials in your self storage unit? Here’s a list of some things we think you should consider keeping in your unit. You can fit them all in one box and then you’ll rest easier knowing that in the worst case scenario, you’ll always have access to a little bit of home.
- A change of clothes for every family member
- If you live in an area with inclement weather, be sure to keep warm clothing options like jackets, hats, scarves and gloves
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- An extra cell phone
- Extra pairs of glasses and/or extra contact lenses & solution
- Toothbrushes and toothpaste
- Non prescription medication like aspirin
- Copies of important family records (such as bank info, deeds to homes, etc) in a waterproof portable container
- Office supplies such as pens, paper and scissors
- Moist towelettes
- If you have children, extra diapers
- First aid kit with bandages, antibiotic ointment, gloves, eyewash and sterile gauze
- A list of medications including dosages and allergies, as well as doctors’ phone numbers
- A list of emergency contacts (such as your homeowners insurance agent)