Having to move is one of the most stressful things in life. Whether you’re moving from a home or an office, the process is an upheaval that can make even the most peaceful person feel out of sorts. The Lock Up understands this, so we’ve put together a few helpful packing hacks to make your impending move less of a hassle. With less stress, you can focus on all the exciting new things coming your way!
- Start planning and packing early. First, begin gathering boxes and old newspapers from friends, family and local shops. Grocery stores are great for getting boxes with handles in them. As you’re collecting these items, begin sorting through your things and packing the least used items (books, decorative items, etc).
- Pack correctly. Just because a box is big, doesn’t mean you should fill it with heavy items. In fact, that’s the opposite of what you should do. Pack light items in big boxes and pack heavy items in smaller boxes so that you can actually carry them. This will save your back from lots of aches. And remember to lift with your legs!
- You don’t have to pack everything. For example, don’t take all your hanging clothes off the hangers, fold them and pack in boxes. Then you’ll have to pack all the hangers too; and the first thing you’ll have to do in the new place is unpack them all and rehang them. Instead, use garment bags if you have them, or use large garbage bags to slide over bunches of hanging clothes and transport them like that. Lay them on a carseat or over a large item like a couch in the moving truck.
- Use what you’ve got. Towels, blankets and comforters are bulky and would be a waste to pack. Instead, use them as padding or as a protective wrap for delicate items. Old shoe boxes are great to use for smaller things like kitchen utensils. Get creative!
- Don’t empty dressers. This is a big time saver. Keep your items in the drawers, but in order to make the dresser light enough to move, remove the drawers and wrap them in heavy duty plastic wrap to keep items in place. An old sheet works well for this too.
Do you have a good packing hack that you’d like to share? We’d love to hear about it!
Are you moving and need a self storage unit for your extra items? We’d love to store it for you! Visit www.thelockup.com today!