Now that the holidays have passed, it’s time to pack up all the decorations and find a place to store it all. Fortunately, The Lock Up Self Storage’s Holiday Special on storage units is still going. Until December 31st, 2012 you can get a 5’x5′ storage unit for as little as $25 for one month*. Now is the perfect time to take advantage of this special if you haven’t already. The New Year is just days away and it will be so much easier to keep your resolutions if you’ve cleaned up, organized your home and stored your holiday gear; and why not get a nice discount on your first month of storage while your at it?
If you’re having trouble getting motivated to take down your holiday decorations because storing them seems like such a hassle, here are some helpful tips.
- Go take advantage of the huge post holiday sales and stock up on storage containers. Arts and crafts supply stores often have big discounts on bins made specifically for storing ornaments and lights because they can’t sell them during the rest of the year. Having such things on hand is really helpful.
- Take things down in stages. Start with the smaller items first. Things like ornaments and lights need special attention when storing. Once all these are put away, move onto bigger ticket items like artificial trees and decorative things like train sets or nativity scenes.
- Use paper plates to stack between holiday dishware. This can help prevent scratches and chipping during the months these items will spend in storage. Be sure to stack heavier items on the bottom of boxes and lighter, more delicate things on top.
- Wash all holiday themed linens such as table runners, table cloths, napkins and towels. Do not bother ironing or starching them as they’ll need to be ironed once you pull them out next year and starch can damage fabrics that are stored for long periods of time by providing food for insects.
- Clearly label all of your boxes so that next year, you won’t have to open every single box to figure out where things are.
Go to www.thelockup.com to find a Lock Up Self Storage nearest you.
*Until December 31, 2012, rent a 5’x5’ unit for as low as $25. A minimum of one month stay is required and availability is limited. If a 5’x5’ size unit is unavailable at your location, a slightly larger unit may be substituted for the same price, just talk to the site manager for details. This Holiday Special is for new rentals only and is available at all Lock Up locations except for Northfield, Illinois.