Know Before You Store
Plan Ahead Before You Use Self Storage
If you've never used self storage before, you may feel a little overwhelmed when you get to your storage unit. How should you protect your valuables? Why doesn't there seem to be enough room in your storage unit? The Lock Up has been in the self storage business since 1976, so we know how things should be done. Check out the following tips before you start packing your Lock Up Self Storage unit with specific items:
- Appliances: Should be thoroughly cleaned and dried. Keep freezer and refrigerator doors slightly ajar.
- Bikes and other Metal Items: To preserve metal during storage, wipe all metal surfaces with a rag containing a few drops of machine oil.
- Books and Documents: Pack books to protect their spines. Do not place boxes directly on the floor - use pallets or skids.
- Dishes and Glassware: Cushion carton tops and bottoms with a layer of paper. Glass items should be individually wrapped.
- Furniture: To save space in your storage unit, beds and tables can be disassembled. Wrap legs for protection. Cover wood and upholstered pieces.
- Holiday Decorations: Reuse the original cartons for delicate ornaments. Pad with packing paper.
- Lamps: Wrap lamp bases in padding. Wrap and place shades in separate cartons.
- Mirrors: Store on edge, not flat.
- Records and Record Players: Records should be stored on edge to prevent warping. Secure tone arm and turntable to prevent bouncing.
- Tools: Long handled tools such as racks, brooms, hoes etc., can be tied in bundles.
- Mattresses and Box Springs: Store on long edges for firmer support. Keep elevated from floor and covered for protection.
We hope this has been helpful. If you have more questions, feel free to call us at (866) 327-LOCK. Our self storage experts are standing by to answer your questions.